Have you ever heard of the phrase, alone we can do so little but together we can do so much? Let’s shift the perspective. Alone we can do so much. Together we can change the world.
If we consider the 2019-2020 Australian bushfires, thousands of homes and lives were brutally disrupted and destroyed. Not to mention, the financial toll of the fires was far beyond comprehension to those unaffected. Millions of dollars were needed to assist in rebuilding and restructuring after the devastation caused. Fortunately, millions of individuals pulled together and donated money, household items, food, shelter, and their time. They committed to taking part in the wellbeing of something greater than themselves and were able to make a profound impact. Had the actions of millions not taken place, it is likely Australia would be further behind in the necessary rebuilding work. But because individuals like you decided to come together, lives that had been previously brutalized were changed for the better. Even small individual choices can make a significant difference to those impacted communities.
In that same vein, your contribution to society and efforts to protect the environment is equally important regardless of whether you are an individual, a family unit, a small business, or a large corporation.
Janine Strachan of Green Design Solutions has supported environmentally focussed Australian groups for the last 30 years, so they too can make a positive environmental difference. Recently, Green Design Solutions Director Janine Strachan again partnered with Fifteen Trees to plant 45 trees to reduce our carbon footprint.
All trees were planted with the Campaspe Valley Landcare Group. This district in Central Victoria has been substantially cleared over the past 100 years with only small remnants of native vegetation remaining. The group aims to create a habitat for local fauna and restore this beautiful landscape to its natural potential.
In the grand scheme, it may not feel like planting just 45 trees is enough to make a difference, but there were an additional 240 trees planted that day, bringing the total to 285. 285 trees planted in one day to restore the natural vegetation of a mistreated landscape is massive, especially when you consider all other trees being planted across Australia by caring individuals and businesses. Each contribution makes a profound impact on the bigger picture.
If you are considering planting trees on your land, around your home, or supporting a cause that plants them in the wild, you may want to consider the huge list of benefits to planting trees. With that being said, what are some of the benefits of planting trees?
- Trees absorb carbon dioxide. Trees naturally ‘inhale’ carbon dioxide and release oxygen back into the atmosphere. They are also known to absorb other harmful gases.
- Timber continues to store the absorbed carbon dioxide even when providing timber to the building industry.
- Trees help save energy. Strategically placed trees around your home can reduce the heat inside and therefore save on air conditioning and temperature regulating costs.
- Trees provide homes and shelter for a slew of wildlife. Many species depend on the presence of trees for their very existence.
- Trees are a renewable energy source. They make a great alternative to building materials using far greater quantities of the burning of fossil fuels.
If you want to take part in planting trees, consider organisations and companies like Fifteen Trees. Companies like Fifteen Trees are the backbone to environmentalist causes and serve as remedies for global climate crises and environmental catastrophes.
Established in 2009, Fifteen Trees operates with a modest team of 6 and partners with a host of native nurseries and community groups across Australia. Fifteen Trees has helped plant a remarkable 20,000+ trees in all states of Australia and New Zealand.
When planting trees, it is important that you are able to find and identify an effective and ethical company like Fifteen Trees. Companies like them will work to ensure:
- Permanency. Your trees will be planted for the long term as they will be protected and planted in optimal conditions.
- Additional Planting. Your trees will be planted along with all other planned vegetation.
- Transparency. The Fifteen Trees website will play host to pictures of your trees along with the stories of the groups who helped plant them.
- Credibility. Those responsible for planting your trees are connected with established community groups such as schools, universities, Landcare groups, or environmental groups.
There are many reasons why you should invest in this initiative. Doing so brings a significant amount of good into the world, and with companies like Fifteen Trees to support you, there isn’t much of a reason not to do it.
Our choices can have profound impacts when we look beyond ourselves. Opting to work with environmentally ethical companies is just one choice out of an endless list of ways your contribution matters. Whether you are planting a single tree, adding a solar panel to the roof of your home, or picking up a piece of trash on your regular hike, your environmentally compassionate actions will help inform the future of our planet.
To get involved in planting trees or hold your own event with Fifteen Trees, click here
If working with a person that holds environmental values at their core of being is important to you, then you are in good company when engaging Janine Strachan for designing your next home.